Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Lesson #6 Grid Method For Drawing the Face of Keira Knightley

Are you ready to draw a face using the grid method? I thought we'd start with this picture of Keira Knightley featured on the cover of Glamour Magazine. Women are usually easier to draw than men, especially when they are pretty. You can choose any picture you want from a magazine or photograph (wouldn’t a portrait of a family member or friend make a nice present?).


Tape the picture at each corner to a table or desk so it doesn’t move. Using a ruler, measure and make little marks ¼” apart across the bottom of the picture. You may use your pencil right on the magazine or make a copy on your printer and use that to draw on.


Now make little marks ¼” apart across the left side.


Do the same on the top and on the right side. Make sure they line up evenly with each other. A good way to do this is to start with a line across the bottom of your picture and a line down on the left side of your picture.


Now connect the marks by drawing lines across and down, covering the whole picture as I’ve shown here.


Now number the spaces across the top and left side like this.



Next take a big sheet of paper (at least twice the size of the magazine picture) and tape each corner right next to it on your table. With a ruler Make the same number of little marks, only this time make them ½” apart across the sides, top, and bottom of your paper.


Connect the marks with lines across and down to make a grid on the big paper as shown here.


Now Number the squares starting from the top and left just like you did on your magazine picture.


Now start with your finger and find the first little square that has something in it to draw. Look at the numbers across the top and side so you don’t loose your place. Proceed square by square and draw what you see (If you need to review lesson #5, go ahead).


This can take quite a long time. But it teaches your eye how to see. With practice you will eventually be able to draw without a grid. This method is really helpful when drawing pictures with a lot of stuff in them! And it’s good for quick-sketching things in the right position.


Next week we will continue and I will add shading. The shading is what will make it look like Keira Knightley!

9 comments:

Janna Lynn Mattia said...

This is just... wow. The best art lesson yet, although I could be saying that partly because Knightley is one of my favorites.
Can't wait to see what comes next.

P.S. Um, did you take my magazine dude? Squirt.

Mara Mattia said...

Um, I confess...Yes. It's so nice having you home and having access to your stuff! -I knew right where it was...didn't snoop!

Anonymous said...

Hello,I just found your blog and I have to say that your teaching skills are amazing.
I have a question though...what if the drawing doesn't have the shape of a square? does that matter? [ I mean ,if the measurements were for example 20/13(little boxes)].
I'm from Europe so we don't measure in inches,but cm.
Sorry if my English is bad :-S.
Thank you!

Mara Mattia said...

Dear anonymous,
Thank you for your question. Your English is very good! Your drawing can be any shape you like but the little boxes work best if they are square (equal in dimension, 2cm X 2cm or 1cm X 1cm boxes). Or you need only to use boxes in specific areas of your drawing where it really matters to get it exactly right (Check my lesson 13, Tweaking and refining your artwork). Just make sure you have an equal number of little boxes on your drawing as you have on your reference picture. I hope this answer helps! If not, email your picture to me and I will take a look and and email you back. MaraMattiaArt@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the answer. It did help :). I did a portrait today using the grid method that I learned from you and I'm quite happy with the outcome! I need lots of practice but I'm getting there with your help :)
Thank you one more time.
God bless.

Mara Mattia said...

Dear Anonymous,
That's great!

Anonymous said...

I am a year 10 student studying GCSE art and your lesson really helped me. I feel so much more confident in this area of art! :-)
Thank you !

Anonymous said...

Hi Mara,

Thank you for the drawing and watercolor lessons. I have always wanted to be able to draw and paint. I prayed and ask God to give me the ability to see through his eyes. Now he has sent you to help me. So many artists are blessed with these talents and are not willing to share them. Thank you.

Kay

Mara Mattia said...

Dear Kay,

Thank you so much for your comments!

Mara